The Fiber Optic Association has developed curriculum guidelines for training course approval and only approves schools or training organizations meeting our standards. Schools or training organizations which offer training which meets FOA standards are listed on this website and are authorized to offer FOA certifications.
Note: ONLY schools which are listed here are FOA-Approved and authorized to offer FOA certifications. Schools listed here are required to offer FOA certifications to all students. If you have any questions regarding a school's status with the FOA, contact the FOA staff.
CFOT Study/Certification offered once a year. The fiber optic course will consist of (6) training session sessions for individuals to learn fiber optics theory and fundamentals. Hands on sessions will account for fifty percent of classroom participation. Homework will be required to be completed prior to the beginning of each session.
Major Topic Outline
1) Fiber optic safety.
2) Theory and principles of fiber optics
3) Fiber types and fiber manufacturers.
4) Cable manufacturers and types.
5) Building and fire code considerations.
a) Identify Samples from various manufacturers.
6) Cable placement techniques for Lan, Building and Campus App.
7) Fiber Optic Sheath removal (including mid span splice)
8) Hardware types and applications.
a) ST, SC, FC, LC , MTRJ 9) Splicing and termination applications, types and methods.
10) Theory and principles of splicing and connectorization.
a) Epoxy & polish
c) Unicam Connectors and Splices
d) Pre-loaded Epoxy
e) Fusion splicing (utilizing the Fujikura 60S fusion splicer)
f) Tyco Light Crimp Plus (Pre loaded factory polish fiber)
11) Cable preparation techniques and types for splicing.
12) Use and operation of the OTDR (Optical time domain reflectometer)
13) Emergency restoration and planning.
14) Testing and test reporting (utilizing Fluke DTX-1800 and HP tester)
15) Standards Overview
Note:ONLY those schools which are listed on the FOA website are FOA-Approved and authorized to offer FOA certifications. Schools listed here are required to offer FOA certifications to students. If you have any questions regarding a school's status with the FOA, contact the FOA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The listings on this page represent the most recent information available to the FOA. Contact the individual school for verification.
© 2019 The Fiber Optic Association, Inc